Sunday, October 7, 2012

Table Runner Tutorial

Wow time really does fly!  It feels like just yesterday I promised you a table runner tutorial, and here we are weeks later and I am finally getting the chance to upload pictures and write a how to guide for this project!  If Allen my sweet husband had not insisted on taking me to D.C for a weekend get-away, this project may never have been posted :(  

Here I am relaxing for the first time in weeks with a few extra minutes what do I decided to do....that's right....spend a few moments with you!  After all my DIY friends have waited long enough for this project. 

 
 
You will need a straight stitch sewing machine, an iron, scissors or rotary cutter & board, fabric of your choice with matching thread and pins to make this table runner.



Step 1:  Choose your fabric.  When we originally designed this runner we used pretty fabric on the front, and lining on the back.  Then Kandi had the great idea of using coordinating fabric on the back so one runner, two great looks.  She is pretty smart!  I like my runners between 15-20 wide.  I think this number can be very flexible.  We make runners from the left over fabric from our pillows so they vary in width.  More important than the width is the length.  Our first runners we 54" long.  I think they look good, but the new trend is to have them overhang the table by 4" so if you are making this project for your home, measure your table and then add 9 inches. (1 inch for the seam allowance). 



Step 2.  Cut two pieces of coordinting fabric.  Pin right sides of fabric together.  (Notice my bottom fabric is a little wider because I use scraps...if you find yourself in the same position just pin fabric so your larger piece is on the bottom.



Step 3:  Sew fabrics together. 



Step 4:  Make sure you leave a large enough opening so you can pull the fabric through to it's right side.


Step 5:  (OPTIONAL) If you do not have a Serger use a zig-zag stitch and then cut the remaining salvaged edge.  I like to have nice neat seams so I serge my edges before I reverse the fabric.


Step 7:  Reverse fabric and press with iron. 


Step 8: Top stitch the table runner. (Use a thread that works well with the fabric.)  See how close my needle is to the edge of the fabric?  I do this to save the step of whip stitching the opening (remember how we reversed the fabric) closed.

Step 9:  Enjoy!!!



Thanks for spending some time with me today!
 
Rebekah

3 comments:

  1. Found this post on "Sew Many Ways." Love the idea of using two contrasting fabrics on either side. Seems like an easy enough project for even me to try! Thx. -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I like the fabrics you used for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this-Great job! I just found your fun blog and am now following :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity